Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Is it the how or the what?

I was looking at an Interview article about the new fall TV lineup and got totally sidetracked by Terrence Howard, who's bringing star quality to the new Law & Order: Los Angeles. Then I click on an in-story promo in the next column to gaze at Blair Underwood for a minute or two. Seems he's one of the stars in The Event, premiering on NBC this fall.

Oddly enough, the thought that came to mind as I read the two features was not how fine those two male specimens are (okay, maybe for a second), but the concept of versatility.

Have we not seen Terrence and Blair in all types of movies? They've acted in romances, thrillers, fantasy, on TV and on the big screen. What takes them there, I wonder? Is it the mode of transmission or the story they're telling? (Though I have no doubt it's simply been a matter of needing a paycheck on some occasions.) Hollywood has proven that it's not for everyone. Look at Kiefer Sutherland, son of movie-great Donald, who has fared far better on weekly television. Don't you think?

So, as I acknowledge that big isn't for everybody (though it can lead you to the same fulfilling outcome), I turn this idea inward and wonder about my own writing quest. Is publication about the mode of transmission or the story I'm telling?

1 comment:

Brooklyn Ann said...

LOL, I love Kiefer in many movies, but I hate him on TV.

As for writers, we are fortunate to have so many different paths available to us. I have a friend that is very successful with self-publishing, though I know it wouldn't work for me because I don't have her marketing savvy or benefit of location. My fellow Paranormal Pretties are rocking the e-book market, while I'm attempting to go the "traditional" route for now.

I'm sure every skilled and determined writer can find their place, if they work hard and keep searching.