Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Dangling from a Dorchester thread

The author, reader and industry blogs have been all aflutter since Publisher's Weekly leaked word that Dorchester Publishing changed its business model mid-stream and unbeknownst to its authors. Today, after several days of asking questions of colleagues with no answers, I came across this "letter to authors" from Dorchester.

I can't even think of a word to describe the knotted, pit-of-stomach, ball of dread and confusion that news caused when it tore across the internet like wildfire, vanquishing hopes and expectations -- not to mention good-faith agreements -- in its destructive wake. Dramatic turn of phrase? Well, yes. But our publisher going e-book and POD (print-on-demand) is huge, game-changing news. And we didn't take that second hand news lightly.

After all, we're authors. We write. We publish. And with Dorchester, we expected to see physical, hold in my hand books. Downloadable, read on a screen text is fine as an option at this point in the industry's evolution. But for many readers, it's still about choice. To me, Dorch's chosen course is a bit like the Big Three automakers deciding to produce only electric cars as a way out of  their financial woes. Sure, we drivers believe in green living. But are we all ready to free ourselves of gasoline run cars today?

As one of those Dorchester authors with a book "in the pipeline" I can tell you I'm a whole slew of tangled emotions at the moment. I'll let you know how this all pans out.

2 comments:

Shauna Roberts said...

Hang in there, Stefanie! I know it's scary (I've been upset about the news without even being a Dorchester author), but Dorchester may get its act together and things may work out.

Are the Dorchester authors doing anything as a group, such as pressuring Dorchester to give back print rights so your books can be picked up by another house? Is RWA going to help in any way?

Unknown said...

Shauna,

I'm not aware of any group efforts at the moment (though what a coup it could be!). As for me, I'm taking action in the way that I can and refusing to get anymore hypertensive over it.

I realize and accept that there will be an inevitable evolution in the publishing world, but I guess I didn't expect to be a lab rat. lol